As winter is now here, we feel it is super important to educate our community on the importance of wearing sunscreen while Skiing, snowboarding, and in general hanging out in the snow for winter.
In short, yes, you need to wear sunscreen in the snow. Here's why:
- The higher up you are, the more intense the UV radiation levels. Believe it or not, it's not just because you are closer to the sun. At higher levels, the air is cleaner and there isn't as much atmosphere to absorb UV Rays.
- Snow is super reflective. If it's sunny, clean fresh snow can reflect as much as 80% of UV radiation.
- Ultraviolet (UV) levels can be high even when the temperature is cold and frosty, so don't leave the sunscreen at home just because it's extra cold!
- While the Ozone layer is great at absorbing UV light from the sun, it's thickness is much lower at the start of winter than at the start of summer. This leads to less natural protection, and more exposure to UV rays for your skin.
Even on cloudy days it is so important to slip slop slap. With the mix of higher altitudes, reflection from the snow and ice and the UV radiation from the sun can increase your risk of sunburn and skin damage.
How is the best way to protect yourself and the family from the harmful UV RAYS?
We highly recommend wearing mineral sunscreen too all exposed areas as it is more gentle on the skin than harsh chemical sunscreens.
Our mineral sunscreen is:
- SPF 40 Broad Spectrum UVA and UVB protection certified to AUS/NZ 2604:2021
- 2 hours water and sweat resistant
- Won't sting your eyes
- Has a slight tint to rub on clear
Our handy 50ml pot fits perfectly in your jacket or pants pocket and will come in super handy on long skiing or snowboarding missions down the mountains. Remember to re-apply as often as you can, with no longer than 2 hours between re-applying.
If you have your little ones out in the snow, always remember to keep applying as often as you can, as most kids fidget and wipe more often which could expose them to the UV rays sooner without realising.
We also highly recommend using Zinc on your lips, nose, and cheeks. Especially if you know you are going to be spending a long day on the slopes. This extra layer of protection will not only stop UV Radiation but create a barrier from other elements like the wind and cold. We recommend you apply a thick layer to these areas, it is a physical blocker, meaning if you can see it on your skin you know you are being protected.
Our 15ml Zinc is also designed to fit easily into your pocket and is ready to take on days of fun in the snow. Due to the nature of our zinc's natural ingredients and is normal to be quite solid in cold temperatures, we recommend warming it on the dashboard of the car or in your pocket, you may have to dig a little hole in the zinc, scoop some up with your fingers and rub between the fingers to warm the formula up to make it spreadable onto the skin.
It's also good to point out that wearing the right protective gear will really help shield you from the nasty rays. Wearing suitable glasses and goggles polarised and with UV protection is a must, so please make sure your equipment is up to spec to keep you safe.
Lastly, if you do happen to get a bit of zinc or sunscreen on your clothing, do not worry! It can easily be removed by giving it a quick hand wash at home with warm water and DISHWASHING LIQUID, yep that's right you read correctly, not washing liquid or powder it is super important to use dishwashing liquid as our products are oil-based therefore need an oil-based cleaner. As dishwashing liquid removes oil from your pots and pans it works the same way in lifting stains from your clothing. We recommend not to delay washing your clothing for too long, it is best to handwash your item as soon as you can.
It has been a really tough winter season for the last few years here in New Zealand, we truly hope the ski season is a good one for us all.
See you on the mountain!